FREQUENTLY ASKED TRAINING QUESTONS:
You have questions? We have answers! Here are some of the most commonly asked questions answered:
Interforce International Training Academy is a dual licensed, bonded, insured, and authorized security guard, private investigator, AND training provider in Ontario. You can see the list of authorized training providers in Ontario for verification.
Interforce International Training Academy provides four comprehensive courses for students to achieve various Provincial licenses for different job professions:
- 32 hour security guard course (no first aid and CPR included).
- 40 hour security guard course & first aid / CPR bundle. This is our most popular course.
- 50 hour private investigator course.
- Emergency first aid and CPR courses.
All courses are compliant with the Ontario Private Security and Investigative Services Branch and Ontario WSIB regulation 11o1.
The Ministry of Private Security and Investigative Services Branch of Ontario has outlined three compulsory pre-requisites for anyone who wishes to obtain a license to work as a security guard and / or private investigator in Ontario:
- Undergo basic security guard and / or private investigator training by an authorized training provider.
- Write the Ministry examination, which will be done at your local drive test centre.
- Apply for the security guard and / or private investigator license through Service Ontario.
Once all three steps are complete, you will receive your security guard, private investigator, or dual license and you can commence work immediately.
A license is MANDATORY. There are no exceptions, even if you are a bouncer or working in-house security.
This is the most commonly misconception topic that needs clarification. Interforce International Training Academy wishes to make all fees crystal clear prior To registration in order to avoid any last minute surprises:
- The first fee is obviously the training fee. Each training provider sets their own fees, which can vary from provider to provider. Visit Interforce International Training Academy's list of training courses for fee structure.
- The second fee is your Provincial test booking fee. This is a booking fee payable to the Ministry. Serco Canada is the governing body that handles all testing for security guards and private investigators in Ontario. Each booking will cost $67.50 + HST.
- The third fee is payable to Service Ontario and is for your licensing fee. If you apply for a single license, the fee will cost $80 no HST, and will last for 2 years. If you apply for a dual license, the fee is $160, no HST and also lasts for 2 years.
Please note that the Provincial test booking fee and the license application fee are government fees, not from the training provider.
TRAINING PROVIDER FEE + SERCO CANADA TEST BOOKING FEE + SERVICE ONTARIO LICENSE APPLICATION FEE
= TOTAL FEES TO OBTAIN YOUR LICENSE.
Interforce International Training Academy's security guard course is an accelerated fast track security guard training program which will get students licensed in as little as 10 days:
- The 40 hour security guard course is divided into 32 hours of on-line learning and 8 hours of in-class learning.
- The on-line component consists of 12 training videos, and a 112 page on-line workbook in which students will be required to watch all 12 training videos and fill out the workbook while watching the training videos. Students must fill out the workbook completely. All answers are found in the training videos.
- The 8 hour in-class component consists of your first aid and CPR course. This course is mandatory obtain your security guard license in Ontario.
- Once both on-line and in-class components are done, the student can now proceed to write Interforce International Training Academy's on-line practice test. Please note, this is only a practice test which will help prepare you for the Ministry test. The practice test contains 96 multiple choice questions to answer. You must obtain a minimum of 70% to pass our training course. Should you get below the 70% benchmark, all incorrect answers are highlighted and notes are given to you to explain why your answer is wrong and what you should study more in order to answer the question correctly on the next try.
- Once you successfully complete the practice test, Interforce International Training Academy will issue you an 8 digit number called the training completion number. This number acts as proof that the student has successfully completed the security guard training, and now grants them access to Serco Canada's test booking schedules in which the student will proceed to book the Ministry test.
Interforce International Training Academy's private investigator course is a50 hour course that is done solely on-line. There is no first aid and CPR requirement for this course. Once you complete the course, practice test of 112 multiple choice questions will be presented to you. Please note, this is only a practice test which will help prepare you for the Ministry test. The practice test contains 112 multiple choice questions to answer. You must obtain a minimum of 70% to pass our training course. Should you get below the 70% benchmark, all incorrect answers are highlighted and notes are given to you to explain why your answer is wrong and what you should study more in order to answer the question correctly on the next try.
Once you successfully complete the practice test, Interforce International Training Academy will issue you an 8 digit number called the training completion number. This number acts as proof that the student has successfully completed the security guard training, and now grants them access to Serco Canada's test booking schedules in which the student will proceed to book the Ministry test.
The Ministry of Private Security and Investigative Services Branch of Ontario has stated that both in-class and on-line training are valid forms of training to obtain a license.
Yes we do! We have 55 full and part time employees with dozens of subcontracted locations across the greater Toronto area. We are always looking for dedicated men and women to join our team of security and investigative professionals!
We are also part of private network of 7 security guard companies in which we share employment opportunities internally prior to advertising them to the public. All of our student graduates will get first priority.
Interforce International Training Academy would like to caution anyone inquiring about any of the following claims advertised by some training institutions:
- Guaranteed jobs!
- $22.00 per hour + benefits!
- 100+ jobs available.
- Work at the airport or shopping mall!
Interforce International Training Academy 's philosophy is to always provide clear, concise and honest training. Any claim as noted above is considered false advertising and is only written to entice students to register with their training institution. In reality, none of the above claims will materialize.
We are aware that some unethical training companies do exist and promise things that won't be honored after the training is completed. They sign up large amounts of students per day (much more than us) and have multiple locations with the same business model due to the sheer volume of students they register from the false advertisements.
Regardless, Interforce International Training Academy remains confident that a clear, concise, and honest business model will be the right decision for our training academy's reputation.
Use of force training is NOT mandatory to obtain your security guard license, although it can be a great benefit when seeking employment.
Interforce International Training Academy (a subsidiary of Interforce International Inc.) has been in business and licensed as a dual security guard and private investigator agency in Ontario since 2005.
It is mandatory for students to obtain emergency first aid and CPR level C in order to obtain your security guard license.
First aid and CPR certification is not required for private investigators.
If you already possess a valid first aid and CPR card, Interforce International Training Academy will verify the following in order for it to be accepted:
- It must be from a WSIB approved training provider. The 3 most common first aid training providers are the Canadian Red Cross Society, St. John's Ambulance, and Heart and Stoke Foundation. There are also a select number of independent agencies that offer WSIB compliant first aid and CPR.
- It must have at least 4 months of validity in order to be accepted. If it is less than 4 months, the student will have to undergo a recertification process.
- The minimum standard and level of first aid and CPR is Emergency first aid and CPR level C. CPR with no first aid and/or level A is insufficient.
If a student has a valid non-expired WSIB approved first aid and CPR certificate, Interforce International Training Academy will require a scanned copy of the certification card. The student will now be omitted from re-taking the course again.
There is no time limit. You can take 3 weeks or 3 months. You complete the course at your own pace.
Only private career colleges and licensed security guard agencies are permitted to provide security guard training, whether it be in a classroom and/or online. Interforce International Training Academy is a registered training facility under Interforce International Inc.
On-line training offers a variey of benefits compared to in-class training:
- Learn at the comfort of your own home through any internet enabled computer or smart phone.
- Learn at your own pace. There are no deadlines.
- No need to drive through rush hour traffic. This also saves gas, bus fares, AND time.
- No need to pay for expensive parking.
- On-line learning can be done quicker than in-class training.
To offer the benefit of both methods of training, Interforce International Training Academy holds first aid and CPR classes every Wednesday and Saturday. Students who have questions about their on-line component can ask for clarification with the training instructor face to face.
You must be at least 18 years of age to obtain any type of license in Ontario.
Please visit Ontario Regulation 37/08: Eligibility to hold a license - clean criminal record for a list of prescribed offences which will prevent students from obtaining a license on Ontario.
If you fail Interforce International Training Academy's practice test, the student will get unlimited tries with no additional charge to successfully pass the practice exam. All incorrect answers will be highlighted and we will coach students in areas where they need to review certain areas of the course materials.
If students fail the Provincial Ministry test, another test booking fee must be paid to Serco Canada in order to write the Ministry test again.
We are always standing by to answer your inquiries by telephone, e-mail, and video conferencing.
Want to speak to us in person? Just stop by anytime between 10:00am-5:30pm. Please ensure you call ahead to ensure an instructor will be available during the time of your visit.
If you have an in-class first aid course booked, you can also review your inquiries with the instructor on the day of your first aid course.